Thursday, April 5, 2007

Megan is feeling better today. I think she might be teething. No fever and she is chewing on everything.




Chuck and Megan taking a morning nap.



This Patty and Katie. Katie is Megan's foster sister.



While the boys were doing paperwork we headed for the playroom.


I can tell Megan is use to being in a walker. She was very happy when I put her in this.



Yesterday many took the trip to the orphanage. We choose not to. The trip was long. It was about 3 1/2 hours one way. We were really torn on weather to go or not. If Megan had lived at the orphanage we definitely would have. We were told that the orphanage building is very nice. It is new. The babies are in a room with 6-8 cribs and there is one caregiver for each group. The caregiver lives with the babies, so they receive constant care from the same person. We were told that it was very sad. There are about 30 babies in the orphanage. Most of them were lying in cribs. They were bundled so much that their arms were not moving and had about 5+ blankets on top of them. They said their clothes were dirty and the orphanage smelled. The children needed their noses wiped and the nanny's did not seem concerned. She said one baby was crying and she touched her face to comfort her. She said the baby turned her head looking for the comfort and wanting to be fed.

After hearing the account of the town it makes sense why the babies are so bundles. Some of the areas there were so poor that the homes did not have windows.

Her daughter was also in foster care. She said that the area is worse then any slum she had ever seen in America. She almost wished that her child had been in the orphanage instead of living out in the community.

We can tell that Megan was well cared for. She is healthy and very happy.

I guess in another group there has been a disrupted adoption. I will not go into it here. I will share it personally once I return home. When children are not accepted by their adoptive family they are no longer eligible for intl adoption. I was sobbing as I was telling Chuck the story.

When you hear the number of children being adopted from China you think that it is so many babies. For every handful of babies leaving there are hundreds left behind. I hope that some day we can come back for more babies. If you can't tell I am having a very emotional day. I am so sad for all of the babies that I can't take home.

The mental image is enough for us. I don't think my heart could have taken seeing it first had. Eventually we will get some pictures and someone has video. A huge Thank You to everyone who had a hand in helping bring our Megan home!!!!

Okay enough sadness. Let's talk about Megan. She is changing so much already. She reaches and holds her toys often. She is currently trying to feed Chuck the toy phone! Her neck and back get stronger each day. She is trying really hard to sit up. When we sit her up with the pillows she is now trying to pull herself forward. She is not sure about other people. She just stares at them. It is hard to get her to smile when others are around.

We have gotten some clothes questions. I suggest 6-9 mo clothes. I guestimated wrong on her weight. I think I said that 7 k was 13 pounds. It is actually 16, so she is on the line from 3-6 mos to 6-9 mo clothes. Her bonnet is a 0-9 mo and is just about too small. I love her bonnet, so if you run across one that is a 9-12 mo please buy it.

I need to run. We out this afternoon to pick up her passport and then we are going to a porcelain shop. I promise next time the post won't be a downer!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!

Grandma showed me this page and I've been keeping up with it. Megan is a beautiful baby. I can't wait to see her! Be safe and I'll see you guys when you get back!

Love,
Ian

Turner Girls said...

I read that once. It almost made me cry. I do not care to read that one again.

I am glad that she is doing better. The girls are counting down the days until you come home.

Anonymous said...

Hi All
Its great to get to see such a beautiful girl. I just cant wait to see her in person. We will welcome her with open arms.


Love Megan's Great Aunt Mary Ann